At one stage in your life, you might have to fill in a medical questionnaire when setting up an insurance plan. Perhaps you might wonder what and how to complete the medical questionnaire the right way. So here we have put together a practical guide on how a medical questionnaire works and how you are supposed to complete it.
What is a Medical Questionnaire?
It is a set of written questions asked during the application process. This is a document that applicants use to provide details of their medical history such as pre-existing or chronic condition details. It is used in conjunction with the general application form to determine if an applicant is insurable and at what price or not. Disclosing details of your medical history allows the insurance companies to better assess your case during the application process and can quicken approval.
How does a Medical Questionnaire work?
It is important that you complete a medical questionnaire (also known as confidential medical declaration) fully. Failure to do so may result in the form being returned to you for completion. All proposals are reviewed prior to acceptance and therefore no cover shall be granted until confirmation is provided.
Typically, a medical questionnaire is made up of the following types of questions and some medical insurance policies might involve your spouse and dependants also:
1. Are any medical/surgical/dental consultations and/or procedures recommended, scheduled, or considered for any applicant?
2. Has any applicant ever been refused medical or dental insurance, or ever had a policy postponed, rated or accepted on special terms?
3. Has any applicant been examined by, consulted with, or received medical treatment from a medical professional in the last 12 months?
4. Has any applicant been examined by, consulted with, or received medical treatment from a medical specialist or consultant in the last 5 years?
5. Has any applicant been confined (stayed overnight) in a hospital, clinic, sanatorium, or other treatment facility in the last 5 years?
6. Has any applicant had any disease or impairment of or suffered any symptoms or required any medication, treatment or hospital consultation(s) for the following? – Please answer all questions.
For this type of question, there is a list of various diseases ranging from AIDS/ARC/HIV, Alcohol dependency or drug/substance abuse to your medical history about your smoking habits, your annual body check-ups or even your food allergies, just to name a few.
Note: A pre-existing condition mentioned in a medical questionnaire refers to the medical history,
including the illnesses and conditions listed in the Medical Questionnaire, which may affect the Company’s decision to insure or not to insure or to impose special terms.
On the whole, you must fully complete every question in a medical questionnaire otherwise it might be returned to you for completion and you might not be able to make a claim for incompletion.
Disclosing details of your medical history allows the insurance companies to better assess your case during the application process and can quicken approval.