Terms & Conditions
In all things related to data collection and protection, we endeavour to implement and abide by best practices. The information contained within this privacy adhere to following generally accepted data principles list here:
• Personal data is processed fairly and legally – We do not collect or process any data unless it is contractually required or it is necessary by our partners
• Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes – As noted above and explained through the document, i-Brokers only collects and processes data when we need to.
• Personal data shall be relevant – Data collected by i-Brokers is only what is needed, and nothing else. Any requests made by clients or otherwise are followed through immediately, or within the next business day.
• Personal data shall be accurate – All data collected by i-Brokers is deemed to be accurate and any changes are updated as soon as physically possible.
• Personal data shall be kept only for as long as it serves a purpose – All data stored by i-Brokers is kept only as long as needed or legally required.
• Personal data shall be processed only in accordance with local and international law – All data collection, processing, and storage is done in a way that it is compliant with local requirements where we have offices and international regulations such as the GDPR.
• Appropriate technical and security measures must be taken to secure personal data – i-Brokers employs robust IT solutions and standard operating procedures that ensure all personal data is secure and only available to those who use it.
• Personal data shall only be shared as necessary – i-Brokers does share data, only as necessary, with other i-Brokers offices. Any transfer of data is done utilizing secure methods. We will also only share data with third parties as is contractually necessary or legally required. We will not sell any of this data.
Who collects data at i-Brokers?
Officially employed i-Brokers staff are the only persons approved to gather, handle, maintain, and use users’ personal data. Generally this will be handled by people on our sales staff, but such data can also be handled by i-Brokers staff working in compliance, renewals, claims, administration, accounting, marketing, and client support departments.
What data is being collected?
As an insurance broker, i-Brokers are contractually obligated to gather and retain certain data of both potential and existing clients. The data collected reflects what is required by insurers in order for the insurer to offer quotes underwrite policies and bind cover. The personal data collected can include some or all of the following:
• Name (first, middle, and last)
• Address (work, or home)
• Contact details (Phone number, email)
• Medical history
• Details related to method of payment
• Lifestyle information (such as hazardous hobbies)
• Job title
• Family structure (for family plans)
• Insurance purchase, coverage and claims history
• Collection of data from businesses
The above list also applies to corporate customers which i-Brokers works with however for business policies additional data might also be requested by the insurer. This could include:
• Employee data of all types listed above
• Business registration and ownership information
• Business tax registration record
• Employee salary record – for life/disability plans only
How is data collected by i-Brokers?
All data gathered by i-Brokers is furnished by users of their own accord as long as their explicit consent is provided (see section below). You reserve the right to question what data is collected and why. User data may be collected across various mediums. Mediums where i-Brokers collects data include:
• Insurance quote forms on our website – Certain data such as age of those to be covered, location, nationality, name, and phone or email are required in order to develop a personalized quote and enable our Sales team to contact you should you have questions or want to apply for insurance cover.
• Email – This is the primary way application data is collected. Data collected by this medium will only be collected as necessary/required/requested by an insurer or as contractually required by law.
• Application forms from the insurer, or ones created by i-Brokers on behalf of an insurer, and other written documents – Only data listed in these forms will be collected. Data that is not necessary will not be requested.
• Telephone calls and in-person verbal communication – Data that is not necessary will not be requested. Our advisors will plainly state what data they need and why it is necessary.
• Text messages – This includes SMS, WeChat, WhatsApp, Facebook, and other chat/messaging apps. Data collected will only be what is necessary to furnish information requested by the client.
• Smartphone applications – Data collected here will only be what is contractually necessary.
• Online forms – Data collected here is for marketing purposes and will never be shared with third parties unless consent is provided by the data holder, or is legally requested by a government.
Why does i-Brokers collect data?
i-Brokers collects information from users for two purposes:
• Contractually necessary purposes – In order to apply for an insurance policy with an insurance provider, a user will need to provide information as required by a particular insurance company’s application requirements. Any data not required by an insurer will not be requested.
• Marketing purposes – Aside from information directly relevant to insurance providers and products, the only other information used by i-Brokers is purely for marketing purposes. This will only include contact details (email, and phone) and basic personal information (name), and will never include any type medical information.
Does i-Brokers share data?
Any user data collected by i-Brokers is shared only internally within our offices, and with relevant licensed insurance companies, insurance agents and third party administrators/service providers. Any personal data regarding a particular user is also available to them upon request. We may also share requested user information with regulators and governmental authorities as required by law and local regulations.
i-Brokers does not share user data with any third parties outside of relevant insurance companies, insurance agents, third party administrators, third party service providers, regulators, or governmental bodies, and does not sell user data under any circumstances.
How long does i-Brokers store data?
i-Brokers stores data for as long as a user is a client or can reasonably be considered a potential customer without having notified us of their intention to opt out of any marketing communications. Beyond this, users that purchase products or services through i-Brokers will have their data stored for up to seven years following the end of their business with us, as such data may be needed for reasons related to regulatory needs, governmental, and financial compliance.
Consent to collect data
By using this website, you consent to the collection and use of your personal data as described in this document. This consent is deemed to be entirely voluntary with data only being collected when contractually necessary, as required by law, or for marketing purposes.
Where required by applicable law, we will seek your explicit consent to collect, process, and use the personal data described in this document. In all cases, data requested will only be what you freely give. You maintain the right to refuse to provide your data along with the right to request to view or delete the data we have collected from you at any time.
It is important to note however that refusal to provide data that is contractually necessary, or data that you are legally obligated to cover will result in our inability to offer you our products or services. The use of this website will also not be possible.
If you would like to change/modify your consent please follow the contact information in the What control do I have over data and how do I change my consent? section of this document.
How does i-Brokers use collected data?
i-Brokers uses data collected from users to enable the sales, purchase, underwriting, payment, administration, use, and renewal of insurance products and services. We may also make use of personal data for marketing purposes related to the sale, purchase, underwriting, payment, administration, use, and renewal of insurance products.
In all cases, consent will be required. You can change your consent/Request to view your data that we have collected at any time by following the information in the What control do I have over data and how do I change my consent? section below.
What control do I have over data and how do I change my consent?
Users can be notified of and amend any of their data collected by us, as well as opt out of receiving any marketing promotions from us. To do so, please send a notification to i-Brokers at the following address:
i-Brokers Data Protection Officer
15F, Nexxus Building, 41 Connaught Road Central, Central, Hong Kong
Alternatively, users can contact us at [email protected]
Failure to notify us of a desire to ‘opt out’ of marketing promotions will be interpreted as an agreement to allow i-Brokers to continue using your data for voluntary marketing purposes.
Is i-Brokers data collection policy compliant?
All of our data collection, protection, and usage policies are fully in line with international regulations, including the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation and Hong Kong’s Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance as well as that of the Insurance Authority (IA). Furthermore, all users have the ability to view and alter any submitted user data.
Collection of data from children
i-Brokers sells insurance cover to families. This means that a child’s data may need to be collected, as is contractually required by an insurer. With all data collected for children under 18, i-Brokers will contact the parents or guardian of the children to first gain consent and to explain what data is being collected and why. In situations where we are dealing with a minor (any person under the age of 18) as the primary policy holder (e.g., a student going overseas contacts us looking for insurance) we will contact the parent or guardian of the minor and ensure that consent for requested data is provided. Parents or guardians will be involved in ALL communication and any decisions made.
Cookies on our website
i-Brokers will only collect data that is contractually necessary – in order for an insurer to offer and underwrite a plan they require specific data. As a broker, we are required to collect this data if you purchase a plan from us – or for marketing purposes.
Data collected by us is never sold to third parties and we will only provide third parties the data they require.
We have taken every step possible to ensure that the data collection, processing, and storage operations we have implemented are compliant with the GDPR and any relevant local privacy policies.
You are responsible to ensure you input correct, truthful and relevant information when entering your personal details and you don not knowingly try to mislead the insurer in any way.
Any contract entered for an insurance product will be between you and the insurance provider. All products and services described in this website or arranged by i-Brokers are subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between you and your selected insurance provider. You must read and accept all applicable terms, conditions, exclusions, and limitations of any policy before entering any agreement or arrangement with an insurer.
You are unconditionally accountable for your behaviour on this Website. You need to guarantee that this does not violate any privacy rights, holding rights or alternative rights of any third party. User content should not be harmful, fraudulent, threatening, defamatory, embarrassing, distressing, infringing, abusive, inflammatory, daunting, harassing, stalking, profane, obscene, indecent, inappropriate, hateful, discriminatory or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable or prohibited by any applicable laws or regulation.
You agree to be held absolutely accountable for any harm, loss, claim, demand, liability or expense (including legal fees) that we suffer directly or indirectly as a result of your breach of contract or warranty or omission, misrepresentation, negligence in relation to, or in association with, your access and/or use on this Website and/or in relation to your submission and accuracy of your user content.
Insurer Product Information
By purchasing this plan/policy you agree that you have read and understood the policy conditions, benefits, claims procedure and exclusions of your selected insurer. You are directed to read these terms and conditions carefully and to satisfy yourself that you comprehend such terms and conditions thoroughly.
If required we encourage you to seek professional advice on the meaning, operation and substantive effect of these terms and conditions before you enter a contract. If you are in doubt as to your responsibilities under these Terms and Conditions or if you wish to try to find support please contact our customer service department and we will be happy to assist before you move forward.
No insurance coverage shall be construed as bound, in force, applied for or assumed as a result of your submission of data to i-Brokers on the website or otherwise unless and until notification of coverage has been sent to you.
When suitable documents related to insurance products may be sent to you electronically. In cases where insurance documents cannot be delivered electronically due to legal constraints, physical forms will be posted.
Information on this website and all materials to be found pertaining to products and services on offer are not representative of, and thus must not be treated as, the complete description of the particular and individual terms and conditions nor the precise cover provided of that product or service. It is your sole responsibility to seek independent and professional advice and to ensure all details and information provided to this website and/or to be found are accurate and reliable. In regards to a specific product or service, the terms and conditions of that product or service shall prevail should contradictions arise with the information contained on the website.
Premiums will not be refunded once a travel insurance certificate has been issued.
We offer a free and independent online service that allows you to compare insurance, products.
i-Brokers (“the company”) is remunerated for its services by the receipt of commission paid by insurers. Your agreement to proceed with any insurance transaction shall constitute your consent to the receipt of commission by the company.
i-Brokers is an insurance broker whose businesses are to arrange insurance products and services for their clients, and do not represent any particular insurance company in their dealings with clients.
i-Brokers is not an insurance company, and does not underwrite any insurance risk, nor does it represent any insurance company in its dealings with you.
i-Brokers does not sell, transfer or distribute any information obtained on our website or via any advertisement campaign to any third party.
We are proud to be a licensed and regulated member of the Insurance Authority and strictly follow their guidelines and rules to ensure that we not only provide the best advice but also advice that is the most up to date and compliant.
We know that your information is important to you, so we keep extra secure levels of security and controls on our site to ensure that your data is protected.
The feedback from our customers has always been something that has been important to us and helps us learn, grow and ensure that we continue to offer an excellent service.